Rosellarambles

Monday 16 July 2007

AN AMAZING CHALLENGE

Jerusalem was and still is built with white limestones, known as Jerusalem stone, which gives the city a historical and serene feel.
One night a housemate took me through various alleys to the wailing wall to pray (him, not me) at night. During the day the Old City is the high point of a visit to Jerusalem, but at night it is even more impressive. The stones don't reflect the heat, but the light and no herds of tourists in the way. I don't know how to pray and have no desire to do so, but I was moved looking at the women who were pressing their faces into the prayerbook, while rocking back and forth. putting their whole souls into it.

Most evenings we have a lecture and a few of them had several critical bugs climbing up my spine, as I feel that at times they are trying to paint a picture of Israel that might be a bit too rosy. Sure, 4% economical growth and a big amount of start ups, especially in the computer business...but what about the 25% poverty? In all honesty not all are like that, we also had a politician that was fighting against women trafficking (Israel rates third in the world) and this week we made a trip to the Negev. I love the Negev, the desert in the south is fascinating. We didn't go there to see the desert however, we visited a waste-treatment plant, where it became clear that Israel unfortunately has other pressing topics to take care of and is 20 years behind when it comes to garbage- no recycling!

Jerusalems' beauty, and it is very beautiful, is however not enough to keep me here. I have been living in a house with 8 others- and during the day the number doubles, which is pretty crowded- for over a month and it is ' getting' to me.
I feel no personal connection to anyone in particular here. As I said before, all are friendly, but all are American, orthodox and a lot younger than I am.
This puts me in a position in which I get asked for an opinion, as they like to hear ' the European view' on things (I can hardly represent myself, let alone a whole continent!). I am not just my regular 'weird' me, but I am 'a weird European'. It is my turn now to say something about Americans...what I can say about these people is that they are ambitious, will do well and in my eyes fairly public with their emotions, without actually dealing with them. Certain cliches are definitely in place, I don't remember how many times I have heard the word 'amazing'. Last week, and that was quite shocking, someone used the word 'problem' instead of 'challenge'.
They are younger in a sense that they firmly believe in their ideas and are not the best listeners. I am more laid back, I have nothing to prove to anyone -at times I didn't even bother to properly finish a discussion- and have no desire to ' belong' (take it or leave it, I am good as I am), I am also a lot better- thanks to my dad- at putting things into perspective. My liberal attitude towards religion and politics plus the seven interns -again all male, orthodox, young, fairly nerdy Americans that have been added to the already busy house, has made me feel suffocated at one point. Don't forget that before this experience I was in another seminar...I have not had one day to myself since I have been here!

Luckily enough I have a few possibilities when it comes to escaping; I know a few people of my age here (funnily enough, I realised we talk about less socially engaged topics, somehow that also seems to come with age...), several people are passing here on a holiday and in the weekends I am able to flee the city. The weekends are short, they last from Friday afternoon to Saturday night, during which no public transport is running. Jerusalem, observant as it is, has not much more to offer to me than rest. A week ago I visited a friend and her family in a kibbutz in the south, which was very relaxing, even though the small kids prevented us from much sleep. It is still called kibbutz, but 'small village' would be a better name: rent is paid for the houses, no communal life and going to the swimming pool and the canteen cost money.
I now had a proper ' modern city' weekend in Tel Aviv.
I have two sets of keys, one for the house in Jerusalem and one for my friends' house in Tel Aviv. It is definitely cool to be here and somehow have a place(s) that I can almost refer to as 'home'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home