Rosellarambles

Monday 30 April 2007

FROM THE LONE SHEILING OF THE MISTY LAND

The fresh air is what hits me first at arrival in the Highlands of Scotland. The second thing is how small the 'towns' are. I picked up a few names of places to visit on the internet and buy a bus pass, which eventually isn't worth its money, as hitchhiking is a more effective way of moving around. I remember a time in which every trip was anticipated by exciting preparations, but now I just take a plane, and here I am!
Inverness, Loch Ness (sure, the monster and me got on quite well), Fort William, Glen Nevis, Isle of Skye and a few castles are what I see in the five days. It is all about landscapes. And they are fantastic. There isn't much tourism, so I often find myself walking in the rain by myself, surrounded by silence and the beauty of the Loch. I discover that I am not necessarily looking for tranquility, as I might have been a number of years ago, when visiting the south of Scotland. For some distraction I go to the only cinema I encounter to see Hot fuzz (entertaining, nothing more) and go out in Inverness on the only night there are people around.
Scottish could be described as no-nonsense, friendly, but closed, (stug dus) attached to their land, not too fond of the English and alcohol is their main distraction/enjoyment.

On Wednesday I meet R. at the train station and we drive all the way up north to Bettyhill, where he has a house. Green hills, sheep, lambs and the the cold sea would describe the surrounding in a nutshell. We walk, paint the house, read and cook. I am back in London now, which is quite a contrast to the last week!
For pictures click here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home